Search This Blog

Friday 21 January 2011

What would we do without them?

It's just after 6pm on a Friday, the magic cocktail hour. So what do you do?
Children can be wonderful – even when they're all grown up. Some might say, especially when they're all grown up. My family were very kind this Christmas – and apposite. They gave me a whole bunch of goodies connected to my latest interest – cocktails. They like to mix with the right sort, too.


Check out the items in the picture: two fab books about classic cocktails, a selection of bitters, a box of exotic spices to enliven a champagne cocktail and the piece de resistance – that silvery cigar-shaped object is a spray device engraved with the words "mix with the right sort" which is, of course, the name of the blog. How clever! 
What you do is: fill the little chamber inside with vermouth – Noilly Prat is preferable – then spray it on the inside of the glass. Then top up with gin which has been languishing in the freezer. Three pimento-stuffed olives for me. And pretty fine, too, for the lady in the picture above; she does seem to be enjoying the attention.
As Ogden Nash remarked about the Dry Martini...

There is something about a Martini,
A tingle remarkably pleasant;
A yellow, a mellow Martini;
I wish that I had one at present.

There is something about a Martini,
'Ere the singing and dancing begin,
And to tell you the truth,
It is not the vermouth –
I think that perhaps it's the gin.

My thanks to other chums for that last poem – they gave me a framed copy of Nash's poem on another occasion. These chums have just purchased a new superfridge – it has a compartment which releases crushed ice at the press of a button. I'll have to get one ... then for the perfect mint julep.
Meanwhile, I have another chum who likes a wee drappie o' it. I'll tell you more about him soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment